Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Vintage Jewelry Collection

A few days ago, I sat down with my mother and sorted through her collection of vintage jewelry.  I truly could look through her collection for hours.  She has so many beautiful pieces, some of which were my grandmother's or great-grandmother's, some my mother's from when she was a girl.  
I adore hearing the stories behind them.  It amazes me how much my mother remembers about each piece of jewelry.  Some of the jewelry is handmade out of coins or metals, some was purchased on one of their many trips to national parks or to Mexico.  Each piece was loved and cherished by someone. 
I do believe, though, that her brooch collection is my favorite.  It's the largest, I believe, and the collection with the most stories.
My Mother's vintage jewelry...
My Mother's vintage jewelry...
My Mother's vintage jewelry...
My Mother's vintage jewelry...
My Mother's vintage jewelry...
On this occasion, though, I was searching for the perfect pieces to wear to the Marine Corps Ball, which I will be attending with Sean on the 5th of November.  Even though getting ready for the Ball is quite stressful for Sean (for he has to put together his dress blues, complete with perfectly pinned-on medals and ribbons, which is no easy task), I rather look forward to it.  I have the opportunity to fancy myself up for a night, to put on a beautiful evening gown and gloves, and to feel elegant.
I'm going to leave my dress a surprise until I share the photos of from the Ball, but I will share that it is a beautiful shade of navy blue.  Last year, I wore a black dress, and decided that pearls were the best match for it.  This year, I want small touches of diamonds and sparkle.  But most certainly not too much, for that is not my style at all.
These are the pieces I chose...
My Mother's vintage jewelry...
The perfect brooch to wear pinned on my dress, a necklace adorned with a circle of diamonds, a small diamond tennis bracelet to wear over one of my gloves, and simple teardrop earrings.
The perfect amount of sparkle to suit my style well.  I can't wait until I can wear all of these pieces, but for now, I will just have to patiently wait.

xo, A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my little blog! I love reading your thoughts! If you have any questions, email me at ofallthenonsense@gmail.com. xo, A. ❤